Monday, June 21, 2010

Ever had a layout that took TOO long?!?!

That was this layout. I decided to step outside of my comfort zone and do a two page layout with a lot of photos. The paper I had originally chose for this was pushed to the side and forgotten as soon as I opened my new Yellow Bag Kit from For The Love Of Art and saw this yumminess.

Seriously, this looks way better in person. This LO and I are having creative differences. Anyways, I used three pieces of 12x12 paper to create the base of this, both patterned pieces are from Fancy Pants Roadshow line and the solid is Co'redinations. The papers, the scalloped border stickers, and the kraft frame were all part of the first Yellow Bag kit.

I started this off so smoothly, with the exception of my paper trimmer breaking and not being able to cut a straight line to save my butt. (Thank goodness for distress ink!) I have been really inspired by titles and lyrics of songs lately and as soon as I imagined this with my family on it I knew I wanted to use "Feels Like Home (To Me)" by Chantal Kreviazuk, which is one of my favorite songs and is how I feel about my fam-bam. I loved how the Pink Paislee letters looked in the frame, but then it came to a screeching dead end. For the life of me, I couldn't find the right letters for the rest of the title, which is saying something if you had any idea how many packages of Thickers I own. Nothing worked and this sat in my desk for nights...


Saturday, I happened upon these from K&Company in their Handmade collection and I love them. While in the picture, they blend, in person it is more apparent they are there. Today I spent the afternoon trying just about every embellishment, ribbon, and flower I have in my stash on this page. Nothing was giving me that "ahh!" feeling. Until I folded a stray flower in half and felt like I had made a break through. 




I glued down the elements and decided to use My Little Shoebox tiny alphas for the names under the photos. While these were the perfect option, I must say that I was reminded why I am not a big user of tiny alphas. No matter how great they are, I have clumsy fingers and a short patience.

Overall, I am happy with this layout and I know we have all had those days where there seems to be something blocking the flow. What matters is that you are in there creating, doing something for yourself.

4 comments:

  1. You certainly don't look like you were out of your comfort zone. This is a fab layout!!!

    The kit looks very cool, did you get the stamps with it ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumminess is a good word for this LO. It's a great one, Lora! It is so worth the sticking with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this turned out great, despite the trouble you had with it! The colors are fabulous, and the row of flowers is a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can't tell it was giving you fits by looking at it. It just flows so smoothly. I'm lovin' that butterfly at the top!

    ReplyDelete