Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Tool School Tuesday!


 Tuesday is going to be the chance to go back to school, so to speak. No tests, no bad yearbook photos, but hopefully a chance to learn something new about a tool you may have or may be looking at adding.

On this first Tuesday, I am going to touch base on the Dymo label maker. This form of journaling was popular a few years ago, but I find that it is still the perfect touch. Recently, I made a mini album that had a number of different type of pages in it, acrylic, card board, and canvas. The Dymo labels seem to work not only in the design of the book, but they adhere well to the different materials of the pages.

I have this Dymo labeler. It has three disks of letters, numbers, and symbols. I liked this one because it offered symbols like a heart, as well as a lower case disk that looks like cursive. I wanted the old school hard plastic labels and mistakenly bought the new high-tech labeler that is all digital. I still have it too and it is neat, but frankly, this little pink tool is hand powered whereas the other one needs batteries and the labels have texture where the other one is flat and the text looks like its from a printer.


This little guy is easy to use too, though when I ran out of tape the other day it did take me a few moments to load the new roll correctly. It had been so long since I had needed to change it and I yanked the old disk out before thinking about it, so I had my few moments of looking like a monkey trying to figure out an algebra problem, but I did get it. 

In the mini I mentioned, I decided that I would use two disks for the journaling, the upper case disk for the beginning of names, phrases, etc. and the lower case cursive disk for everything else. Below is a picture of the curl of tape in the Dymo that I created while flipping from page to page and making the journaling.


Instead of cutting it off after each phrase I decided to just use the space key on each disk and cut when I was done journaling. It seemed less time consuming. Flipping the disks in and out was simple and I only lost my place once, but that is because I was distracted. When I ran out of tape in the middle of a word, I didn't worry because the beauty is that you can cut it very close and make the tape match nearly seamlessly. 



You can see in this photo that there are actually a couple of places where I cut the tape and the matched it back to make it flow. I actually ran out of tape while punching the word "saying" right after the "y." The other cuts were because I got a little snip happy and cut the phrase wrong. All wrong, in fact. The line through the "o" is just a glare actually.

I find in a small space, the Dymo is a great way to put the needed information in without feeling like it is heavy handed in the journaling. PLUS, it is easier to correct your mistakes. 


I love how the two disks created this more unique font for me. Dymo tape also comes in other colors, such as pink and blue, so you can match it to your project.

Hope this was interesting. If you have a tool in mind that you are curious about, please let me know. If I own it, I will see what I can do for you.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I like your Tuesday class. I'll be looking forward to more lessons!

    I have one of those label makers but hardly ever use it. I bought it to make the label for my front doorbell but I think I should pull that puppy out and find other uses for it on my los.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, suddenly I have a reason to look forward to Tuesdays!
    I have a Dymo, though mine's not as fancy as yours, with it's interchangeable discs. I got it because I needed a label maker and the old school one reminded me of playing with my Grandpa's work supplies as a kid. He was a salesman and had all sorts of neat stationary supplies!
    Hmmm....now I want to play with my Dymo!

    ReplyDelete