Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Studio Calico kits

Studio Calico's kits seem to have been the creative kick in the pants I needed. I must admit that July's Main, Elmwood Park, and the add-ons, Twisty Slide and Monkey Bars, are total favorites for me. I love the colors, the pops of bold.

For this first layout, I used a combination of pieces from all three kits. The only thing added that was not in the kits is the map tape and the tiny letter stickers are from last month's kit.


This is a way paired down layout for me, the lover of embellishment vomit. I immediately fell in love with the Basic Grey letter paper from the main kit and these two pictures were just begging for me to scrap them.

I added ink stitching to mimic the printed red stitches around the letters and as tempted as I was, I resisted the urge to add an Eiffel Tower or poodle anywhere on the page.

Next is a layout using pieces from last month's kits. I still have a lot of product left and tons more inspiration to come. I am still a little surprised at how much I am liking the muted tones.




And, yes, you do spy more stamping on there! Not as much as the record holding 11 stamp layout from earlier, but still using them. In fact, I have been busy organizing my clear and flat stamps into binders for easier usage, so hopefully the stamping will continue.

Last is a layout that started with the best of intentions and quickly went downhill. The background paper is from one of last month's kits and they advertised the reverse side, but I loved the little cartoonish caricatures. The clouds with skulls and crossbones and zigzagged arrows reminded me of the Philadelphia summer weather and I knew I had to scrap our trip to the Philadelphia Art Museum.

This is when it went downhill. As I laid out the photos, I managed to knock over my beer, spilling it all over the layout. Which I guess is fitting texture for a layout sort of featuring the crazy weather. :)




After much hemming and hawing, I finally put it together, adding some Smash journal tape, and stamping. It isn't my favorite layout ever, but secretly have to admit, the paper still makes me smile when I look at it.

3 comments:

  1. You are really on a roll! Great work, Lora!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the stamping... something I need to do more of myself. And I really like the papers in the first and last layout... beer or not!

    Glad that you have been inspired. I always love your stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You work so well with the SC kits! And I think you salvaged the last layout very nicely :)

    ReplyDelete