Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Summer of Unfinished Business

That is what I am calling one of my new endeavors. I have a ton of projects floating around the house that are in some state of completion, but haven't attained the "Finished" seal of approval yet. So, my idea is that this summer, for every new project I start, (layouts excluded), I must finish one of the unfinished ones.

Since I started a new mini over the weekend, I decided I needed to pull out a project that has been hanging around the studio since last fall. I am happy to say I completed it, finally! While I cannot show you the pictures of the project without some distortion for my own protection, I will tell you that it is two 5x7 canvases that I painted, then Modge Podged the background onto, I used sticky back canvas for my subjects, old lace, dyed and Glimmer Misted around the edges, a bat beaded strip of decorative embellishment ribbon, and the inspiration that started it all is the Buzz and Bloom flower strip along the bottom.


Last summer I was looking at this strip in it's raw chipboard like form, wondering how to use it when my genius mother mentioned they reminded her of a certain film I loved as a child and the inspiration hit. The canvases and the flowers sat in my studio, painted and waiting all fall, winter, and spring while I tried to pretend they weren't there.

Sunday, I got to work and finished them this afternoon. They are a pair, meant to hang side by side, and they are also a gift for a dear lady who also loves this film. I am pretty keen on how they turned out and hope that she likes them as much as I do.

Now, I do not have to pretend to ignore this project. It will soon be on its way to a new home, in all its finished glory. Sadly, this is a small step on the list of unfinished projects, but it is a step. I will be back later with photos of the mini album that I completed. The Stickles needed to dry and now it is way dark. 

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, Lora. These are crazy good! Love the black & white contrast to the softer backgroud. Love the bat beading. That's one lucky lady who's receiving these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I love the lace and bats together.

    ReplyDelete